These Blogs Are Awesome!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happiness is...

...having a husband who thinks I am the best cook in the world. I love cooking and I love food. Well, obviously I love food, I didn't get this physique from rice cakes and celery ;)
I was hoping to show off a few of my creations here today, but apparently the absolutely beautiful pictures of my butternut squash soup were eaten by my sd card so it's a Mexican fiesta themed blog.

First up is a simple tortilla casserole:


It's not pretty, but it's delicious and is packed with nutrients in the form of spinach, mushrooms, onion, peppers, black beans and quorn meat crumbles. Using less tortillas and cheese (about half the amount you would find in a similar restaurant dish) also keeps it low in carbs and fat.



Cilantro and lime...


...are not only photogenic, but an absolute must have for any Mexican inspired meals that I make. I'm way more of a fan of Pacific coast or Baja style dishes than Tex-Mex. And it's healthier too.


Our convection oven recently crapped out and rather than spend a lot on a new one we got this inexpensive toaster oven ($35 at Target):


I love that it's stainless steel so it matches the motif of my kitchen. I also love the glow, it's somehow comforting.

Tonight was fajitas. I had to take a picture of the peppers and onions because the colors were too pretty:

And from last night, I bring you "Lucky Mud Luvs Nomming Asparagus:


video

5 comments:

  1. Sure!
    Sautee garlic, onions, peppers and mushrooms in some olive oil until tender, add lime juice, black pepper, paprika, cumin and any other spice you like, along with the crumbles and spinach (if using frozen, if fresh add this with the veggies) and a bit of water. Add a dash of the salsa/hot sauce of your choice and drained black beans. Line the bottom of a casserole dish with tortillas scoop about half the mixture over those, add some cheese, and another layer of tortillas, repeat with the rest of the mixture, throw a tortilla or two on top for garnish and bake at 350-375 for 20 minutes. Top with cilantro.
    Try not to smother it in sour cream and pepper sauce, which happens to be my downfall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love peppers. How's the toaster oven with "real" food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. great recipe! i'll have to try it when I'm not breastfeeding (a little spicy for baby)

    ReplyDelete
  4. deemack-The toaster over does a great job on anything that needs to be heated. My main use for it is defrosting bread (we use the Food For Life sprouted grain bread so it's always frozen) and cooking most faux meat items. I've also warmed tortillas by putting it on a low setting, wrapping them in a damp paper towel and setting the timer for about 2 minutes. It's also a pretty handy tool for tin foil poaching small items.
    I could probably go on so...yep, it's a champ!
    bodoba-Most of my food is somewhat spicy because I can't have too many fats and sugars but I love flavor. I'll likely post my noodle-free lasagne tonight, not as spicy :)

    ReplyDelete