These Blogs Are Awesome!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Girly?

This is not about Christmas. In this entry I question what it means to be a girly girl. Above is a picture of the most common obsessions of the stereotypical girly girl. While I own a purse and shoes, I would not say that I am obsessed with them. In fact, I've been carrying the purse pictured above for a whole year without regard to season or current trend. I do own more than one pair of shoes, but the loafers pictured here probably get worn 80% of the time that I am required to be shod in something other than sneakers. I don't like shopping for shoes and I absolutely loathe shopping for purses. In fact, I pretty much hate shopping unless I'm at a specialty grocery store.
Yet, I'm totally a girly girl. I have a whole closet dedicated to hair and makeup products (admittedly, I barely ever wear makeup, but I have it if I need it). I get manicures and pedicures when ever I can afford them. Spa manicures and pedicures, none of this quick polish change crap for me, I'm girly. I named my car (Dodo, for she is part of a now extinct tribe). I speak to my dogs in cute voices. None of them are chihuahuas or teacup poodles, but girly girls can have mutts, right? I work in the beauty industry. That should totally seal the deal.
True story: At my last job, someone sent me an email that began, "Dear Mr. (my last name)." I thought it was funny, seeing as my first name is never shortened to Chris and I have what I believe to be a feminine voice (okay, it's a step higher than Bea Arthur's, but still....). So I jokingly told my coworkers that my gender was being challenged, to which one of my friends replied, "I'll send her an email back saying you have boobies." Another friend countered with, "And I'll tell her I've seen your shoe closet, she may be right."
So it all comes back to shoes.
Well, nonexistent readers, come back from the depths of the internet and weigh in. Can one truly be a girly girl with a mere 5 pairs of shoes?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. I think. The thing is, I think my husband has over twenty pairs of shoes, and he's constantly talking about getting new boots. We have no room in our house for new boots! And coats. OMG- the coats!

    I don't know. If my husband can still be a manly man, you can still be a girly girl. But the first part of that- well, I just don't know.

    Why define yourself at all? These gender roles are so overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a girly girl is a punishment. It might look like good living, but it's like being one of those chihuahuas that gets carried everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola!, from PatriciaDecember 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM

    2 more pair than mom and that's counting my boots.
    I love to shop and have never had a manicure or pedicure that i did not do myself. Maybe one day when either my daughter or I win the lottery, I can come to visit and we can go to a spa. Incidentally there are now 2 or 3 in this area.

    ReplyDelete